Having the best wood router is essential for any workshop. That can mean both a professional woodworker that makes beautiful cabinets and other fine furnishings, or just a do it yourselfer with a corner of the garage dedicated to your tools. When you are looking around for a router, you probably did a shopping search online and got thousands of results, leaving you completely stumped as to which one you want to actually buy. That is why it is necessary for you to take some time and do research to figure out what the best wood routers for your needs are. Keep these guidelines in mind and you will have no problems finding that perfect router.
The first and foremost thing you will have to decide is what size the best wood router for your needs would be. If you have a dedicated router table, then you can go with a large router which can take advantage of it. Because these routers are so big and heavy, they are hard to use without a table, so if you don’t have one, then you will want to go with a mid size or trim router. The mid size routers are great all purpose tools which are meant for general use rather than any particular job. Trim routers are small and are meant to be used for fine detail work.
Next, you will have to decide what kind of speed controls you want the best wood routers to have. You can certainly use a router that doesn’t have any variable speed controls and still do good work, but have the choice to change speeds is very nice. Speed controls are mostly a budget decision. If you can at all make it work within your price range, then get the best wood routers with speed controls. However, if you really just can’t afford it, a single speed router is still a valuable tool.
The third thing you will want to remember when looking for the best wood router is to try to get one with good dust control. What this means is that you want the router to have a vacuum port which will suck up all the fine dust that is created by using the tool. This option is also a budget decision. You can certainly save money by buying a router that doesn’t have any dust control, but you really shouldn’t as the dust can make a real mess of your work shop and also potentially cause health problems after extended use.
Finally, you will have to pick a brand of best wood router that you like. The best bet for tools is usually buying a brand that you already know and like. If, however, you don’t know any of the big router brands, then you should do research online to find out what other people have experienced. Try to look at reviews for the type of routers you are thinking of so that you can get an idea of what brands are trustworthy and which should be avoided.
If you keep these guidelines in mind, then you should have no trouble finding the best wood routers for your needs. Remember that tools are a long term purchase, so it’s worth putting forth the effort to get the right ones.
In the woodworking world, the usefulness of a tool is another factor to look out for when buying any woodworking tools. The forecast 1.25 HP, Dewalt DWP611PK router is one of the routers is top at the time of this study. With the ergonomic features, a splendid design, easy control and peak performance, this is a router that’s worth every penny.
This is an amazing wood router that is interchangeable which means you can use it as a plunge or a fixed wood router, whatever you prefer. It’s very light and it weighs only 10.3 pounds which means it’s very easy to carry and manage it. It is definitely the best router for light work and for beginners. Many people like it because of it’s usability.
The Main Benefits:
- Has both fixed and plunge base giving the user more flexibility.
- Speed dial from 16000 to 27000 rev / min helps users manage tools and tasks better.
- Soft start feature helps minimize torque on this router.
- Comes with ¼ inch callet ideal for small tasks, especially for the woodworker who needs a back-up router.
- With the D-shape fixed base it offers more stability and increases visibility.
The Key Pros:
- Operates quietly.
- Ergonomic design.
- Features plunge and fixed base in combo kit.
- Additional accessories for the expanded performance and flexibility.
- It’s powerful with the ability to handle soft and hard wood.
- Has a variable speed.
The Key Cons
- Compatible with ¼ inch collet only which is somehow limiting.
- It is not cordless. Its 8 foot 18 gauge cord gives the user sufficient length for any job site or workshop project.
- Its standard base is not compatible with bushings.
In research on the most effective wood routers on the market, I have reviewed the Bosch 1617EVSPK router is one of the top selling routers on the market at this point. Technically, this router has the ability to route the midrange routers but are capable of handling the load of work of any wood worker.
Just as the Dewalt mentioned above, the Bosch1617EVSPK can also be used as a fixed base or a plunge base. It is an interchangeable wood router. It’s one of the best out there. It has horse power of 2.25 which is pretty strong for a wood router. The beauty of this wood router is that it does not vibrate like the others. It has poor handle quality and seems to be very tight if it’s not warmed up. The Bosch1617EVSPK requires frequent cleaning.
This router is equipped with aluminium casing and it has a 2.25 HP motor provides power from 8000 to 25000 RPM. It is a router that will meet the needs of intermediaries to enhance worker crusting. You can use ¼ ½ inch collets and both with this router and it is definitely worth your money.
The main Benefits
- It has a variable speed dial and hence will handle most tasks.
- Has both plunge and fixed bases for more versatility.
- Compatible with both ¼ and ½ inch collets hence versatile.
- You can adjust the depth possible to adjust the depth of cut increases micro precision and accuracy.
The Key Pros
- It has an auto-release collet chuck.
- Has contoured soft grip handles for more control and comfort.
- It is double insulated for enhanced safety.
- Compatible with template guide adapter.
- Motor alignment arrows are available.
- Supports both ¼ and ½ inch collets for larger bits.
The Key Cons
- Require wrenches to change bits/collets which are hard to find.
- Bushings tend to get clogged with sawdust when using on router table.
- It is difficult to change bases.
- Does not come with Adapter for Template Guide which is hard to find.
This medium range router is a router base and fixed with the speed of change. It represents a combination of power and convenience makes it a favorite combination router kits in the market today. This router has all the desirable features of a router and is ideal for beginners, intermediate and professional wood crafter. This router can be installed on a routing table for more comfort when handling heavy applications. Moreover, it comes with a price tag that is worth of it.
The main Benefits
- Has a dust sealed switch that protects the tool from dust hence will last longer.
- Comes with heavy duty materials that enhance durability.
- Powerful 2.25 HP motor/12 Amp provides 8000 to 24000 RPM is ideal for different job applications.
- Comes with a micro-fine depth adjustment for precise and accurate cuts.
- Has a spindle lock button that facilitates single wrench changes.
- Comes with a large hole sub-base which is more stable.
- With the quick release motor it is quick and easy to change bits.
The Key Pros
- Adjust the depth quickly and easily without any additional tools.
- With powerful engines and fast variable speed to perform different activities.
- Has a dust collection that ensures a clean tool and working area.
- With extra base D-Handle, users enjoy the control and great comfort.
- Comes with a durable housing and hence lasts for longer.
- Based side clear Lexan for maximum clarity when routing.
The Key Cons
- It is difficult to follow the manual that comes with the tool.
- Base tends to vibrate when the Plunge Lock Lever is locked when using the plunge base.
- It’s more expensive because the user must buy the guide edge separately.
Is a compact high-speed router change torque 1.25 HP, DEWALT DWP611 is designed with the ability to handle complex routing applications such as design of heavy pruning, cut small sections and many other things. It is appreciated and with its LEDS feature, users can get the maximum visibility of the working area. It also has additional features that make it very easy to handle and operate.
If you are the carpentry, the people who want to do projects such as modeling, do stairs, glass-fiber design, plastic design, remodeling the kitchen, or carpentry, this router is a sure thing to have for you.
The main Benefits
- Features variable speed control speed bits to suit different applications.
- With LED lights and backgrounds, there is a visible maximum area to work.
- Comes with an excellent adjustment ring for maximum control.
- Features its soft launch in helping to maintain engine speed during cutting applications.
- 1.25 Hp motor provides enough power for the hardest applications in wood working projects.
- Easily adjustable and the height and change the bits.
The Key Pros
- Round adjusted Router for precise cutting depth.
- Motor location is maintained through all woodworking applications.
- Has a variable speed control feature ideal for a wide range of applications.
- It powerful enough for the toughest applications courtesy of its 1-1/4 peak HP motor.
- Gives maximum visibility of the working area with its LED and clear sub-base.
- With soft-start feature the tool does not jump off when starting.
The Key Cons
- It is highly priced when compared to other routers.
- Lacks a Dewalt hard case.
- The motor has to be removed when changing the bits.
- Not everyone will like the base width.
Unlike the DEWALT DWP611PK and the Bosch1617EVSPK the PORTER-CABLE 690LR isn’t interchangeable. It works only as a fixed base. It has a Lever Release quick adjustment feature hence the LR in the name. It has incredible durability and it will serve you well that’s for sure. People that have reviewed this wood router say that it’s one of the best out there and it’s very easy to manage. There are few cons with this wood router however. The case is poorly made and it looks very cheap and small. It doesn’t have a soft start feature and changing the bits can be very annoying.
Designed to cut exactly and precisely, the Porter-Cable 690LR provides 27,500 rpm speed incredible thanks to its 1-3/4 HP engine. Amazing and powerful tool that is compatible with both ¼ and ½ inch collets makes it one of the most convenient tool to have in your workshop. Moreover, it has a ergonomic design, easy removal of the bit, and stop under the table makes one of the easiest to use and works in your workshop.
The main Benefits
- It comes with a powerful engine with 1-3/4 peak HP so it can handle most of the tasks.
- You can use the ½ ¼ inch collets and both are automatically released.
- With cam lock feature you can easily liberate the engine and easy rough height adjustment.
- It offers incredible 27,500 rpm from a single engine makes it the most powerful router.
- Comes with a micro depth adjustment system that delivers micro-fine adjustments for up to 1/128.
The Key Pros
- The auto release collet system makes bit changing easy.
- It is compatible with other routers since its fixed base.
- Easy to use and operate as it has handles.
- Long-lasting since it is made of aluminium housing.
- Power adapter and bearings is debris and dust-proof because they are sealed.
- Speed single consistent power supply is 27500 rev / min and thus bring consistent performance.
The Key Cons
- It is not portable since it is a fixed base router.
- Power switch is located inappropriately.
- Does no come with a case hence it’s a challenge to store some of the other router components.
- It is a small router hence can’t handle some rails and stile bits.
Bosch 1617EVS router popular with furniture maker because it has more features. This is a medium-range routers but is built to manage download tasks that any furniture would also throw into it. The long list of Bosch’s facilities began with aluminum casing, the ability to use both ¼ and ½ size, plus it was designed to be mounted on several different routing table. The engine runs with the Bosch 1617EVS 2.25 motors have soft start and a variable speed is controlled electronically to adjust the speed round between 8.00 and 25.000 with six different speed settings. Bosch has created this router with the intermediate to advanced ideas for the carpentry.
The main Benefits
- Comes with a solid fixed base that can be used in a router table and freehand as well.
- Well-angled handles in plunge base for maximum control and comfort.
- Its 2-1/4 Horsepower can handle most router table tasks. Generates power of 8000 to 25000 RPM.
- Has an electronic variable speed that starts the motor gradually. It also keeps speed on check especially when the tool is loaded.
- Uses both ¼ and ½ inch collets giving it great versatility.
- Has both plunge and fixed base for more flexibility.
- Excellent routing power courtesy of its 2.25 horsepower motor that generates 8000 to 25000 RPM.
- You can use both ¼ and ½ inch collets.
- Ideal for wide variety of tasks since it has a variable speed feature.
- Both plunge and fixed base have excellent depth adjustments.
- Comes with storage compartment.
The Key Cons
- You need two wrenches for bit changes.
- To use third party collars you require a special adapter.
- Not ideal for the beginner wood crafter.
The Bosch PR20EVSK is a very versatile tool, it can be used to combine, cut to the slot, trank deck deck hinges, hinges, and other woodworking tasks.
The Bosch PR20EVSK is quite a small compact router, so very easy to handle. Small size should not reduce the power and capabilities of this tool, although it really pack a punch. The power behind this tool will allow you to effectively cut through the many different applications without any problem.
This PR20EVSK router allows you to select the speed from 16,000 to 35,000 rpm.
Similar to other modern routers, the router also comes with with speed control dial 6 numbers.
There are many useful features that you can get with the Bosch PR20EVSK. One of the main features is the rubber handles lets you handle this machine comfortable and slip. Rubber knobs is also beneficial for increasing control and reduce fatigue when using this machine for a great project
Small change always become a difficult task for most users but Bosch router has made the process easier. This router allows you to change the bit by two key or a key and lock the shaft. Regardless of your experience in handling the routing tool, it is important to read the manual first. The manual provides all the steps to change the bits correctly and easily.
Weight about 3 pounds, the Bosch PR20EVSK router comes with a fixed aluminum Empire proved to be reliable and durable for wood processing. The repair facility can accommodate 1-5/16 “diameter bits. This machine also has a guide fence the entire metal to easily follow an outer edge of the table.
Hitachi M12VC 2-1/4-Horsepower Plunge Base Variable Speed Router is made by Hitachi, a company that is known for their high quality but affordable products that is known for their classic designs and innovative engineering. As expected from any tool manufactured by Hitachi, this router performs efficiently.
- Has a motor with varied speed
- Router is customized to meet user’s needs
- Designed to ensure comfort and control of the user
- Has straight guide
- Has centering gauge
- Has 2-1/4 horsepower
- Dust guide that diverts debris
Pros and Cons
The Hitachi M12VC 2-1/4-Horsepower Plunge Base Variable Speed Router has varied speeds, depending on the needs of the user. There is a dial that can easily be turned to make adjustments. The soft start allows the user to make adjustments on his designs before the speed increases, which can result to additional costs. The machine’s functions can easily be customized to meet the needs of the user. The contraption is designed in such a way that the user can work with comfort and control. With this convenience, you will be able to create uniquely-designed panels, cabinets, headboards, chairs and tables that are uniquely different from others.
It has a mount that makes it stand stable as it is used. This device has a lot of applications and is not only limited to wood working and carpentry. One disadvantage of this machine is its size. It is huge and heavy. Another downside, getting the bits in and out of the collet but once it is snapped together it will perform as expected. Hopefully this will get easy through use and become easier.
Why Should I Buy It
Woodworkers and carpenters will find owning a Hitachi M12VC 2-1/4-Horsepower Plunge Base Variable Speed Router a great advantage and help in their work. With this device, they can easily make the designs that make their work unique and easier to sell.
Carpentry and woodwork require talent and skill. With a powerful and efficient machine you can produce the most attractively designed woodwork in no time whatsoever. Black & Decker RP250 10 Amp 2-1/4-Inch Variable Speed Plunge Router is a machine that a carpenter or a wood worker must own. For its precision and the enhanced visibility of the area where you are working you will make the most attractive and intricate designs, without messing up and making errors that could cost you money and your job. With this contraption, craftsmen are able to make a beautifully finished item.
One important feature of the machine is that you can do your work from the center. Hence, you can easily make designs not just for the edges but also on the inner portion of the wood you are working on.
Black & Decker RP250 10 Amp 2-1/4-Inch Variable Speed Plunge Router is made by Black & Decker, a company that is one of the leading manufacturers of power tools and machines for carpentry and woodwork. The company is also known for quality and high performing machines designed to make work faster, easier and more convenient.
- Enables the user to work from the center of the material
- Allows better vision of the area being worked on
- Starts softly
- Great power from 10 amp motor
- 2 year warranty
- Allows user to make cut outs
- Maintains constant cutting speed on both hard and softwood
- Has plastic window as protection against chips and debris
- Has chute that can be attached to a vacuum to get rid of duct from the surface
- Has an enlarged base to stabilize the router
- Driven by 2 horsepower speed
- Has push button spindle locks
- Comes with adjustable parallel edge guide
Who Is It For
Black & Decker RP250 10 Amp 2-1/4-Inch Variable Speed Plunge Router is for people who engage in carpentry and woodworking as their trade. It can also be useful for amateurs who prefer to do remodeling, repairing and renovating parts of their house, including furniture such as table and chairs.
Pros and Cons
One advantage of using the Black & Decker RP250 10 Amp 2-1/4-Inch Variable Speed Plunge Router is that you can start from the center of the material that’s why you can make designs from the middle to the edges. The improved vision for the material being worked on allows you to make more intricate designs accurately. Debris and dust are dealt with using a plastic window and later on, a chute attached to a vacuum. Its soft start enables you to make adjustments for more accurate results.
The only setback is that the Black & Decker RP250 10 Amp 2-1/4-Inch Variable Speed Plunge Router itself is made of materials that may not be able to withstand the demands made on it.
This combiner kit is a high performance D-handle unique Empire. With this user handles have a great contact with work areas. The fact that it has both a decrease in the fixed basis and make it become more flexible and useful for users, you can process the different routing tasks without any problems.
In addition to the base D-handle, this router has 3 different establishments, a dust collection system, and a variable speed motor. It is definitely worth the investment.
The main Benefits
- Has a variable speed range of 8000 to 24000 RPM and thus can handle various applications.
- Comes with three bases: Fixed, plunge, and the D-handle base that offer great functionality.
- Compatible with both ¼ and ½ inch collets for more flexibility.
- Its dust collection system can collect up to 95% of the dust for a clean work area.
- The switch is easy to operate with both hands because it has the right and the left cord set location.
- Have a self released turbine system to ensure sustained bit and prevent any frozen bits.
The Key Pros
- It has three bases that include fixed, plunge and D-handle base.
- It comes with a variable speed motor.
- Features a dust-collection system that can collect up to 95% of the dust.
- Soft-start up feature reduces torque and enhances accuracy when routing.
- Compatible to ½ and ¼ inch collets.
- Comes with Lexan sub-base for maximum visibility.
- Has an ergonomic design.
The Key Cons
- 3 bases combination is a bit complex for beginners.
- Use of wrenches to remove bits is a challenge to some users.
- The fact that the user sees the coils and bushings when routing may be a distraction.
- It is quite a challenge to make height adjustments.
Wood Router Types
As mentioned before there are different types of wood routers. The basic ones are wood routers with a fixed base and plunge routers. This is due to their different designs and the router type you choose will directly affect the work you want to do with it.
Main Differences Between a Fixed Base Router and a Plunge Base Router:
- FixedBaseRouter vs Plunge
- Fixed Base Router
- A fixed base router has a constant position, the router would protrude with the same cut depth until you change it.
- Plunge Base Router
If you are just a beginner and wondering if you should buy either the Plunge Router or a Fixed Base Router, then we would recommend you to go with the Plunge base, just because you can always lock it just like a fixed based router while still being able to change the depth of the cut. But at the end of the day if you are serious about woodworking you’d definitely want to take a look at both.
Interchangeable Base Routers
You might be wondering what types of routers are these if you have never heard of them before. Routers with an Interchangeable base offer the benefits of a plunge base router and a fixed base router merged together. You have a interchangeable base and you’ll be able to put either a plunge or a fixed router on it which is pretty great. However, these can be pretty costly and you might find changing the bases a boring thing to do if you are focused on achieving great wood work.
Wood Routers HP and RPM are crucial to know before buying
Before you decide to buy a wood router, you need to look at the horse power of the router. They have different horse powers such as:
Also, the Rotations per minute are just as important as horse power and wood routers can have RPM’s anywhere from 9,000 to 29,000.
There are lots of different factors that make a wood router useful so we would recommend you to check out our full wood router reviews table for the best in-depth information and rating.
Wood Router Accessories
When buying a wood router you need to know that you will also need additional accessories to help you achieve the work you want. Good wood router accessories are:
- Router Table
- Router Bits
- Speed Controls
Your router’s functionality will increase tenfold when using some of these accessories.
Wood Router Sizes
Wood router sizes categorized by their power are these:
- Small – Under 1 HP for light woodworking.
- Medium – 1 ½ to 2 ¼ HP. These are the most common in today’s woodworking industry.
- Large – 3 ¼ Used for heavy woodworking.
It doesn’t matter if you are a weekend warrior and just doing this as a hobby or if you are a professional in woodworking. The best wood router can help you a lot when doing woodworking, so make sure you buy one that will satisfy your needs and keep your soul fulfilled!
incomming search terms
- best router wood
- best wood router
- best wood router for the money
- best wood router reviews
- best wood router to buy
- best wood routers
- bosch wood router
- cheap wood router
- cordless wood router
- ryobi wood router
- small wood router
- wood router
- wood router guide
- wood router review
- wood router reviews
- wood router sale
- wood router tips
- Best wood router for beginner