There’s a large amount of different brands and types of wood router available, so we’ve reviewed some and included a guide for you to get started on making an informed choice. With the aid of these wood router reviews, you’ll be able to pick the best wood router to meet your personal needs.
|Dewalt DWP611PK 1.25 HP Max Torque Variable Speed Compact Router Combo Kit|
|Bosch 1617EVSPK 2.25 HP Wood Router|
|DEWALT DW618PK 12-AMP 2-1/4 HP Router Kit|
|Bosch MRC23EVSK 2.3 HP Combination Plunge & Fixed-Base Variable Speed Router Pack|
|PORTER-CABLE 7538 Speedmatic 3-1/4 HP Plunge Router|
The DeWalt DWP611PK is an excellent addition to your line-up of power tools for almost anyone, but novices will find it to be almost perfect. If you’re just starting out and you’re looking for the perfect a router that’s best for beginners, you need look no further.
• Ergonomic grips to relieve hand and arm fatigue
• Relatively quiet
• Powerful – able to handle both soft and hard woods
• Smooth and clean cut quality even with low to mid quality type bits
• Dual LED lights illuminate the work space
• Clear sub base so you can see more of your work area
• Adjustable clamp design
• Easy to change bits
• Variable speed
• Sealed on/off switch
• Optional accessories that extend performance and flexibility
• Plunge base available in combo kit
• Not cordless, but the 8 foot 18 gauge cord will give you plenty of length for any wood shop or job site.
• No edge guide, but that can be purchase separately
• ¼ “ collect only
• Collet nut can be a little difficult to reach but not too bad
• Standard base doesn’t take bushings (need the optional round base)
• No side handles – palm grip only, except on plunge base
DeWalt DWP611PK Ratings:
The consumer reviews and rating that I found seem to really praise the DeWalt DWP611PK wood router, even with its small ¼ “shaft size. This router has been compared to the Bosch Colt compact router and its heavier cousin the DWP618 with many beginning, intermediate and advance woodcrafters giving this compact router the edge over its competition.
That said, it comes in at under 200 dollars and it’s one of the best on the market within the price range. Even better, although it’s available at a bargain price, it comes with a 3-year warranty so you won’t have to worry about manufacturer errors causing failure. The more advanced craftsman will probably want something a bit heavier and more powerful, but the DeWalt DWP611PK is absolutely perfect for a beginner, and within its price range it simply refuses to be beaten.
Some of the different accessories that can be purchased separately for this model beside the various bits are the RA1173AT Dust Extraction Kit for the plunge base, a 3/8” Collet Chuck and 8 mm Collet Chuck. The RA1126 Quick Change Template Guide Adapter and the RA1165 Under-Table Router Base with Above-Table Hex Key.
• Template guide Adapter
• Quick Change template Guide
• Removable chip shield
• Work light
• Double insulated
• Wide Base opening 2.56” sub base for larger bits
• 10 Foot Cord
• Motor Alignment arrows
• Self-releasing Collet Chuck
• 16mm and 24 mm bit change wrenches
• Contoured soft grip handles-For enhanced control and comfort
• Fixed base has threaded holes for mounting to router table positioned in common 3-hole pattern
• No Adapter for Template guide- Not included and hard to find
• Dust builds up in Switch-cause it to fail. This has been fixed with a dust cover for the power switch
• Still Needs wrenches to change out bits/collect- These are included, but can still be a hassle for some users.
• High tolerance operations are challenge for this router
• C-ring keeps falling off or breaks when used in router table.
• Changing bases difficult –to tight or loose causing the router to wobble when using plunge base.
• Bushings get clogged with sawdust when in table mount
Summary of the Bosch 1617EVSPK 2.25 HP Wood Router:
What level of wood worker would this router fit? This router is perfect for the intermediate or advance wood crafter that needs a router that can be use separately or installed on a router table to cover a wide range of routing jobs around the house or on a construction job site.
If you need a wood router that has plenty of horse power and can easily handle heavy duty jobs in the work shop, then this is the right wood router for you.
If you are looking for something that can handle more of the light duty jobs around the work shop, then you might want to consider the Bosch PR20EVSPK Colt Palm Plunge and Fixed-Base Variable-Speed Router.
The DeWalt DW618PK is a superior router for around the home usage. It comes in with an impressive 2.25 Horsepower and makes for a superior, compact wood router for your around the home needs. It offers some of the best quality you’ll find anywhere and can make those projects around the home a whole lot easier.
This router comes in with the features that you’d expect in any high-quality tool, including soft start and a variable speed control. The variable speed will allow you to go from 8,000 to 24,000 RPMs in order to match things best with your individual project.
Some of the different accessories that can be purchased separately for this model are the DNP618 Edge Guide for Fixed Base Compact Routers, the DW6913 Router Edge Guide with Fine Adjustment and Vacuum Adapter and a variety bits to create different cuts.
The DW6183 D-Handle Base adjusts vertically for constant switch/cord location with an adjustable, tool-free steel motor cam lock that makes depth adjustment and base changes quick and a quick release motor latches for fast and easy motor pack removal for bit and base changes.
- Ergonomic grips to relieve hand and arm fatigue
- Detachable Power Cord
- Low center or gravity, excellent ergonomics
- Conveniently located sealed toggle switch
- Powerful – able to handle all types of wood
- Smooth and clean cut quality even with low to mid quality type bits
- Lexan sub-base ensures durability and visibility
- Adjustable clamp design
- Variable speed Dial
- Optional accessories that extend performance and flexibility
- Dust Collection
- 3 Year Warranty
- Not cordless, but the 8 foot 18 gauge cord will give you plenty of length for any wood shop or job site.
- No edge guide, but that can be purchase separately
- No centering tool, included must be purchased separately
- Collet nut can be a little difficult to reach but not too bad
- Adjustment ring can have a problem with slipping as it doesn’t lock in, but this can be fixed by readjusting a second time.
The consumer reviews and rating that I found seem to really praise the DeWalt DWP618 wood router, but like with all routers this one has its share of problems that I pointed throughout the review. The next closest competitor is the Bosch 1617 system. Many of the woodworking sites for all levels of woodcrafters seem to give this router the edge over the Bosch 1617EVSPK and feel that the Porter Cable 890 series doesn’t even come close to what the DW618 can do in a head to head comparison except for maybe mounting on a table.
The Bosch MRC23EVSK is a powerhouse, coming in with a substantial 2.3 Horsepower it’s suitable for all but the heaviest tasks you might have for a router. If you’re looking for a heavy-duty, durable tool to use for your profession, you could do a lot worse than this unit.
This excellent router from Bosch offers a surprising amount of utility, and it’s the best router for router table in order to maximize the use you’ll receive from it. It has all the standards allowing for easy use, including ergonomic grips, soft start, and a variable speed motor which can run from 10,000-25,000 RPMs.
This one is a 2.3 Horsepower, variable speed wood router with both a plunge base and a fixed base. One of the outstanding features of the MRC23EVSK is the trigger control, which located in the handle and gives you greater control while you are cutting. It’s easy to get the right cut depths too, with the micro fine bit-depth adjustment feature and the adjustable turret.
The plunge action is very smooth, and it’s another wood router with constant response circuitry to keep the bit speed constant as you cut. The Bosch MRC23EVSK also has bright, always on, LED lights to help you see where you are making those precision cuts.
With the Bosch MRC23EVSK you get superb control, whichever of the two bases you are using, stable and smooth operation, micro fine Precision, and the power of a 15 amp motor. Is the Bosch MRC23EVSK the best wood router on the market today? Well, it definitely deserves its place in our top five!
What we liked about the Bosch MRC23EVSK Wood Router
- Effortless power from such a light wood router
- Well designed and powerful
- Loved the trigger grip!
- Built to last
- Strong and powerful, but not too heavy
The Porter-Cable 7538 Speedmatic is tough and powerful plunge wood router built to professional standards. It has a powerful 15-amp motor, with soft start, that delivers more than enough punch to handle any type of wood or cut. Setting the depth of a cut is made easy by the rotating turret and, when you hit the depth stop, it feels nice and solid like the best wood routers should do.
PORTER-CABLE 7538 Speedmatic 3-1/4 HP Plunge Router infomation
- 15-amp motor provides the power and durability necessary for the toughest applications
- Single-speed 21,000 RPM motor with soft-start feature to reduce torque at start up
- Auto-release collet system allows for easy bit removal after use
- Depth rod with six-position adjustable turret enables stepped or repeated plunge cuts
- Three-inch plunge range precision machined aluminum motor housing and base
Why should you buy a wood router?
A wood router has become the necessity of woodworker and professional craftsmen all over the world. Previously the wood router was used mostly manually, but as its use has increased, people start using it in an automatic form with the help of spindle motor. If a person is a serious woodworker or craftsmen of some kind, then having an excellent quality router is a necessity. All over the world, when a person starts to think to work as a woodworker, the first thing that comes in his mind is to buy a reliable and authentic router for him. This is because router has got in it a wide range of shapes, models and styles. Or maybe it is just a fact that it is a really ‘cool tool’. The router is nowadays the basic and foremost demand of most of the workers of today.
The following can be some more reasons that why one should buy a wood router:
- A wood router minimizes the work to a greater level. The efficiency and accuracy of the work is increased four times.
- It minimizes the spread of the waste pieces on the floor. The amount of the waste pieces causes the lost in the supplies. The use of the wood router brings precision to the work.
- Cutting and managing the large pieces is quite a tough job for the people who use manual methods. The use of wood router makes such work easy and comfortable. CNC wood router is the machine of choice in this regard.
- The wood routers which are controlled by computers can produce hundreds and thousands of wood pieces with finest results and 100% accuracy. Therefore, such wood routers are an excellent choice for companies that produce high quality of work in a short period of time.
- The wood router is easy to operate if handled with care and accuracy.
- The manual work is always dangerous for workers with regard to injury as well as the accuracy cannot be attained like the automatic machines, the wood router is a best option in this regard, it highly minimizes the risk factors among the workers.
- There is an increase production capacity when using a wood router. The wood router increases the capacity of the work four times greater than with manual purposes.
- If a person is willing to attain different designs with perfection, then the wood router is the best option as it can provide lot of designs and varieties to a work. For example if you are willing to get a shape of a circle or the interior of the wood has to be decorated, then the use of wood router will do the work more efficiently.
- Different routers are suited for different tasks, and same is the case with the use of bits in the router.
- The use of bits makes the router most attractive and effective. There are different types of bits that are used in the wood router to make it more effective.
- The variety of the wood routers increases the efficiency of the work. For example, for large slots and cutting purposes, router table is preferred. For small cutting purposes, hand router is used. This variety of routers increases the variations in the work.
- Most of the routers can be controlled in the way that their speed is in the hands of the workers. That speed can be controlled through speed control buttons that are present in many wood routers. Deeper cuts, hard woods and other hard surfaces require more horse powers and vice versa.
- The presence of special features and the speed control option in the wood router makes it an effective and a reliable tool for workers. A metal motor router assures long lasting performance in case of heavy work.
- Routers with electronic motor feedback maintains a consistent speed, so as to avoid jerks and problems while heavy load.
- The handles of the router are meant to maintain the control of the person holding it. The routers are manufactured in such a way so as to provide the level of comfort to the owner.
- Another important feature of a wood router that makes it a must to buy for the buyers is the micro fine depth adjustment. Due to this feature, one can cut finest and accurate depths.
- Different routers are present for different purposes. For example, there are plastic routers for cutting of plastic and wood routers for cutting and fixing the wood. The differentiation of this criterion makes it more specific and reliable.
- The weight and size of the router varies with need. For high profile industries and heavy budget industries, large and heavy routers are preferable including CNC wood router that works automatically and with maximum efficiency.
- The modern spindle routers are more accurate and with 100% efficiency.
- There is a wide ranges and variety of the wood blades and cutters that are fixed with the routers and give variety of shapes and features to the work piece.
- Another feature that makes the router more effective and good to buy is their reference by Jeremy Broun in his book ‘The Incredible Router’. He said in his book, “… you can use it in just about every aspect of a job but assembly…it will do almost any type of cutting of wood”.
The above mentioned points and arguments prove that it is always better to buy a wood router than to choose any other machine. It is a best and trustworthy machine to use for the purpose of cutting almost all types of wood and chipboard etc. the presence of different switches including the speed control has make it more easy for its users. Once the craftsmen has mastered the techniques of designing the furniture then wood router is the best option for him to complete his task in less time and with perfection.